Margie Chrichlow Smith Scholarship
Margie Chrichlow Smith was the first president of the Rho Eta Omega Chapter. Under her leadership our first signature program, “Project YES” (Youth Enrichment Services) was implemented. This program served youths in grades five through eleven. It evolved into another signature program called “Ride for Knowledge”, where high school students were introduced to Historically Black Colleges and Universities first through various pre-college seminars and finally via a bus tour of various HBCUs. We celebrate her leadership by offering this scholarship.
The Margie Chrichlow Smith $500 Scholarship is intended to help students with the cost of attending a two-year community college or vocational/technical school. Recipients are selected based on their grade point average, extracurricular activities, community service and a written essay.
The application deadline is March 15, 2024. Applications received after this date will not be
considered. The award recipients will be contacted in April. The award will be made in one
installment by September 3, 2024 and will be made payable to the school or college and applied
toward the recipient’s account. If the student receives a full tuition scholarship, the award will be
payable directly to the student and the student will receive an IRS Tax Form 1099.
Eligibility Criteria for this $500 Scholarship
The applicant MUST:
• Be an African-American male or female high school student who graduated in the Winter of 2023 or will graduate in the Spring of 2024.
• Have a 2.5 to 2.99 cumulative grade point average.
• Be a resident and attend a high school in the Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent or Richmond School System.
• Plan to enroll full time in a vocational, technical or trade school or two year community college for the 2024-2025 academic year.
How Do I Apply for the Margie Chrichlow Smith Scholarship?
1. Complete and submit the online application. APPLY HERE
2. Submit a certified transcript, two (2) letters of recommendation and an essay through the
online link at https: Scholarship files
3. Essay Question to be addressed:
Why did you select a trade school/vocational school/community college?
4. Essay requirements are below:
a. PDF file format
b. 500 words or less
c. Times New Roman and 12-point font
d. Double-spaced with 1” (one-inch) top, bottom, and side margins